Thursday, April 30, 2009

RSSn' It

This is the most useful thing I've come across of the few tools we've looked at. Current awareness is vital in the library world and RSSing provides as much. Of course, being a complete librarian means expanded one's view well beyond the library world to news sources that speak to the events that are going on now. On the other hand, the fun stuff - sports in particular - is something that I'd prefer to not have a RSS connection to. Part of the fun IS going to each individual site and mining those special nuggets of information. I enjoy this and it gives credence to the adage that it's sometimes the journey as opposed to the destination that makes the effort worthwhile. That said, as a professional RSS feeds are a huge help. As a male in his 30s who likes sports, RSSing takes the fun out of stuff.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I'm a total RSS believer but I recently deleted my feed from the Oakland A's site. For some reason, I just didn't like it as much as going to the real site even though in 99% of cases, I prefer RSS. I wonder what it is about sports and RSS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. RSS is for scanning; web sites are for absorbing. At least that's the way I divide mine.

    ReplyDelete